Ingredients for a perfect session…
Preparation and Inspiration
1. Plan for your photo shoot in advance–this is best done in your third trimester. Remember that the best newborn photos are taken in the first ten days so plan accordingly.
2. Use your due-date as a place-holding appointment and then you can change it when your baby is born.
3. Look up photos of other newborns. When you find ones you like, send them to the photographer as a reference point. Stay in touch and share your ideas.
4. Don’t be afraid to bring your own props and ideas to the table. It adds to the fun.
5. Finally, think about what the photos will be used for–a coffee table book, a print on the wall, etc. If you want a giant canvas print to hang in the living room, you might want to think about colors that match the room style and let you photographer know about it in advance.
It is mainly the photographer’s job to be inspired. However, some of the best photos come from collaboration.
What inspires me the most (besides the babies, of course) are new textures, colors, and other elements that add to the richness of the photograph. While I LOVE the simple beauty of the natural baby, I also have a collection of adorable props, baskets, and backdrops. It is constantly growing because I am always on the search for great new additions…do you know of any?